When it comes to the world of beauty and skincare there’s nothing quite as fun as being experimental and getting as creative.
What better way to allow your creative juices to truly run wild than by whipping up your own concoctions using ingredients right out of your kitchen?
One of our favorite holistic skincare tips around here is, "if you wouldn't eat it, don't put it on your skin!"
By following that rule, you’ll be infusing your skin with nutrients that will provide beautiful results without ever putting your health at risk or your skin at risk of any type of irritation.
And that's what all of these DIY recipes are about!
Do keep in mind though, that certain ingredients such as citrus can cause some sensitivity. If you have very sensitive skin, be sure to always do a patch test on your inner arm a few hours or the night before applying it to the rest of your skin.
In today’s article we want to share some of our favorite DIY beauty concoctions that are not only fun to whip up, some of them are too yummy to not sneak a lick, or two or three!
Soothing Chamomile and Aloe Face Mask
It doesn’t get easier than this face mask, made with only 2 ingredients, both of which have some excellent skin benefits!
You may be well familiar with the wonderful soothing effects of sipping on a cup of beautiful chamomile tea when your mind is feeling a little overwhelmed.
What you may not have realized is that its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties may help to fight breakouts and even fade acne scars!
Aloe, also referred to as “the miracle plant” is jam-packed with antioxidants, nutrients, minerals and amino acids. All that goodness gives dull skin a boost, soothes redness or irritation, and provides a layer of wonderful hydration.
- 1 chamomile tea bag
- 1 tablespoon fresh aloe pulp
- Brew up a cup of strong chamomile tea and allow the tea bag to cool completely.
- Gently run the teabag all over your face, the same way you would use a cotton/gauze pad to apply toner.
- Once dry, squeeze some fresh aloe pulp directly out of your aloe plant or your aloe leaf (you can often buy the big leaves right at your grocery store) and massage into your skin.
- Leave on for 20-30 minutes before rinsing with lukewarm water and following up with your facial oil of choice.
Decadent chocolate scrub
A regular exfoliation ritual is incredibly important for smooth, healthy skin that glows with radiance and is easily able to drink up all your nutrient-rich skincare products.
Unfortunately, many conventional scrubs contain harsh abrasives that may scratch your skin and put your skin barrier at risk. So it's extremely important that you use a scrub formulated with gentle exfoliating ingredients.
That's why our salt scrubs are made with small-grain, pure Redmond Sea Salt. It's a gentle exfoliant that contains 50+ essential trace minerals. That means you get to exfoliate while still maintaining the health and integrity of your skin.
If however, you’d like to try whipping up your own scrub at home then you may want to try a sugar scrub, that you can enjoy as dessert too!
This coconut chocolate sugar scrub is sure to leave your skin glowing and your tastebuds will thank you too!
P.S. Eating the RIGHT kind of chocolate is one of our favorite "beauty foods" to snack on :)
Turmeric and coconut blemish zapper
There’s nothing more frustrating than a huge blemish that always seems to pop up at the most inconvenient time!
Ditch those harsh spot treatments that may aggravate and irritate your skin and try this natural, yet just as potent version instead!
Turmeric and coconut oil are both brimming with powerful anti-inflammatory properties. They help shrink inflamed, painful blemishes so you can start rocking that clear complexion once more!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
- Mix in a bowl until a paste is formed.
- Apply a generous layer to blemishes or areas of inflammation and leave to dry for as long as you have.
- Rinse off the skin with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Follow up with your moisturizer or serum.
Silky strawberry lip scrub
No one enjoys flaky lips, especially when you’re trying to get your lipstick all silky-smooth. Those flakes gotta go!
Strawberry lip scrub to the rescue!
Natural fruit acids melt away dry skin.
The deep dose of Vitamin C will help plump and smooth.
And the honey adds lovely hydration for soft, kissable lips.
- 2 tbsp organic, cold-pressed coconut oil
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated white sugar
- 1 strawberry
- In a small bowl, mix the coconut oil and honey.
- Gently mash the strawberry with the back of a spoon, add to the coconut oil and honey and stir in your sugar.
- Use your finger to gently massage the mixture into your lips and leave on for a minute or two (we dare you to not lick your lips!)
- Gently wipe your scrub off with a warm, wet cloth and follow up with a natural lip balm to seal in all that goodness.
Revitalizing epsom and peppermint bath soak for sore muscles
Most of us walk around with muscle tension on a daily basis, and if you can't find relief, it can quickly become quite painful.
Epsom salts are rich in magnesium, a wonder mineral that quickly relieves painful muscle tension quickly, leaving your body feeling wonderfully weightless when you step out of the tub.
Peppermint helps to uplift and soothe, and works like magic when combined with epsom salts.
It has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, due to menthol and menthone found in peppermint oil, making it a highly effective natural muscle relaxant.
Simply add 11/2 cups of epsom salt to a tub full of warm water and 8-10 drops of peppermint essential oil.
We hope these recipes will help you to enjoy the ultimate spa night at home!
I you liked this article, you might love learning about these 3 diet tips for better skin ❤️
Leave a comment