Why I don’t ever use coconut oil on my face.

images-13

Since I am an esthetician I talk to women all the time about their skin. I hear many complaints about what is wrong with their skin and what they want to do to make it look better. I have lots of women tell me that they use coconut oil on their face and they’ve been using it for years. So while I do recommend using oil on the face, I definitely do NOT recommend using coconut oil on the face anymore.

Yes, I used to recommend it all the time! I thought it was the greatest thing ever, it has natural sunscreen and it has so many benefits! However, I noticed that in many of my skincare classes, women of European descent (their ancestors came over from Europe) would have bad reactions (rashes to redness) from using coconut oil. I did lots of research after that. I read in a few books that recommend never using coconut oil on the face. In fact, David Wolfe author of “Eating for Beauty” said to not  put it on the nose or the forehead because it can clog pores! And if there was one thing I didn’t want, it was clogged pores.

So one day I was actually reading “Nutrition and Physical Degeneration” by Weston A. Price when I had my epiphany about coconut oil. A quick summary of the book is this dentist found no tooth decay in people who lived off the land with their food and didn’t eat refined sugars.  I applied this theory to skincare products. Coconuts didn’t grow native to where my ancestors lived, or to where I lived now. So maybe coconut oil wasn’t the best option for me. It seemed to do really well for people who’s ancestry was from around the equator, but just not for any one that had European ancestry. I did more research and found that coconut oil has a larger molecular structure, and people that live around the equator have darker skin, and their thicker skin can handle and absorb coconut oil.  That’s why my skin couldn’t handle it!  I also looked at what grew naturally to Europeans, and I’ve found that many people of European descent do really well with sweet almond, olive, and apricot. My skin does really well with Jojoba oil that grows in the U.S. which is where I live.

It’s not that coconut oil is bad, I will sometimes use it as a sunscreen on my arms & legs in the summer. Or I’ll sometimes use products that have coconut oil and my skin does well.  But as an everyday face oil, I’ve found that Jojoba works wonders! And I don’t have to sit it on a window sill if it gets cold. What’s even worse is fractionated coconut oil (which makes it stay as a liquid) which is a refined oil, should never be used on the skin.

I get a lot of surprised looks when I tell light skinned women to not used coconut oil on their face! In fact, many argue with me. But try it for yourself! See if another oil works better on your skin. Also, experiment with oils to see which one your skin does best with!

Also, try our Salis Salt Scrub Face wash! It’s in the Shop section. The scrub has Jojoba  in it, which seems to be very beneficial to my skin – amazed at the vast difference from using coconut and other oils. Check it out!

Have a question? Ask below!

Why I don’t ever use coconut oil on my face. 2.27/5 (45.39%) 89 votes

Tags: , ,

187 Responses to “Why I don’t ever use coconut oil on my face.”

1. Tika July 26, 2013 at 6:47 pm Permalink

good info! thanks!

• Salis Skincare January 10, 2014 at 7:37 pm Permalink

You’re welcome Tika! Love you!

• Monica Sansone March 11, 2014 at 7:14 pm Permalink

I am from argentina I have been told I have olive skin type what do you suggest my main problem are my under eyes get very puffy specially during allergy season.

• Salis Skincare March 11, 2014 at 11:31 pm Permalink

Hi Monica! I would use the Calendula Salt Scrub as a face wash. Also, for the allergies – I would use the Mineral Support found in the Products section. When you have allergies, you need to detox the body, and then seasonal and other allergies are way better! Trust me from personal experience – it took about a year of Mineral Support supplementation, but my seasonal allergies are way better! Let me know how it goes!

• Linda April 17, 2014 at 5:14 am Permalink

Thank You for the information Monica.You are brilliant. Im an allergy sufferer.

• Monique Cook January 26, 2014 at 2:06 am Permalink

Great info! What an interesting idea that foods local to you work best for addressing skin/health problems. It should be intuitive, but alas! I had to hear it from an expert. Thank you.

• Salis Skincare January 27, 2014 at 9:26 pm Permalink

You’re so welcome! Glad you liked it!

• trish asc February 23, 2014 at 8:51 am Permalink

I have used coconut oilbfor a wreek and my face feels very rough like a rash. I suppose i have broken out from it a little more as well. I guess it is not good for my type of skin. How long will it tak to heal? What naturalbthings can i use to help.

• Salis Skincare February 25, 2014 at 12:31 am Permalink

Hi Trish-

I’m not sure exactly for your skin how long it will take to heal. I have a clay and baking soda mask on my blog too that might help!

• Samantha March 12, 2014 at 5:13 pm Permalink

I have been using unrefined coconut oil around my eye area at night for about a week and I have had no problems! The skin has definitely firmed up around the area and feels smooth! I am Sicilian/English/French!

• Salis Skincare March 14, 2014 at 4:44 am Permalink

Thanks Samantha! Good to know!

• kaitlyn July 8, 2014 at 5:21 am Permalink

Samantha,

I also use coconut oil religiously on my face. I mix it into my nightly moisturizing creme and it has worked absolute wonders for my face. All of a sudden everyone is asking how I got my skin to look so dewy and airbrushed. Coconut oil baby! I am German/French/Canadian/Danish …very fair skinned!

• Kendra August 24, 2015 at 5:07 pm Permalink

I am from Northern European decent mostly Norwegian and was really liking the coconut oil on my skin. However after about 2 to 3 months of using coconut oil after being in the sun and using a skin product line with the oil in it my skin broke out like never before. I went to see an acne specialist who informed me of the pore clogging effects of coconut oil. Also jojoba oil is pore clogging for acne prone skin too. So I believe this article is right on but I would add beware if you have light skin AND have adult acne. It will take several months of not using coconut oil to get your skin back. If you are light skinned and pores are not clogging then you probably don’t have acne prone skin.

• Salis Skincare August 24, 2015 at 6:26 pm Permalink

Interesting- thanks for your comment Kendra! I’ve actually seen acne clear up super quick with Jojoba – so that’s interesting it broke you out.

• Marie January 19, 2016 at 5:39 pm Permalink

Hi! I have been using coconut oil lately because I read about it and my skin was very dry and breaking out so I thought I’d give it a try. It helped my break outs but then seemed to start giving me a small rash. I know you talked about being from European descent and I am Italian so i was wondering what you suggested.

• Salis Skincare January 20, 2016 at 11:32 am Permalink

Hi Marie!

I would think Olive Oil or a lighter oil like sesame would work better for you, or more nut oils, like hazelnut or almond. Those would be my suggestions :).

• chelsea March 24, 2016 at 8:46 pm Permalink

I left coconut oil on my face two nights ago and now my face is inflammed with red bumps that are very itchy and my face is dry I’m at a loss on how to heal myself. Its very painful

2. Maryam August 25, 2013 at 5:46 pm Permalink

Regarding your last line, how long should I use the oil to tell wether it is good for me or to move to anothe oil .?.

• Salis Skincare August 25, 2013 at 10:26 pm Permalink

Maryam- does your heritage come from around the equator? Do you have darker skin? I’ve found that it works on most with ethnic skin, but not on caucasian skin. I would try Jojoba, or Calendula and then rotate with coconut oil to see which one works the best!

• Lisa November 21, 2013 at 6:15 pm Permalink

She asked how long she should try the other oils. Could you please offer us a specific answer? Thank you.

• Salis Skincare November 22, 2013 at 11:23 pm Permalink

Hey Lisa- who are you referring to? I would always use other oils on the skin instead of the coconut oil.

• Salis Skincare December 6, 2013 at 3:14 am Permalink

Try it for at least 2-3 months.

3. Melanie September 8, 2013 at 1:27 am Permalink

I have very fair skin and I have many deep wrinkles above my upper lip. I have never smoked yet I have worse “smokers lines” that people 2x my age who did/do smoke. I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing has worked and I was going to try coconut oil (have tried other oils, glycolic acid facials, regular facials, $$$$$$ skin care products). Do you have any suggestions to help me.

Thanks

• Salis Skincare September 9, 2013 at 5:10 pm Permalink

Hi Melanie-

That is so not fun. Unfortunately, that is a harder spot to fix! However, I always believe that the skin is constantly rejuvenating itself. I would try Calendula oil from Bodyceuticals (also in my calendula scrub) or try Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Olive, and Seasame. You can also try using Surthrival’s Colostrum on your problem spot overnight. Make a paste with water and apply it really thick to the area, and leave on overnight. I’ve noticed it helped lighten my wrinkles on my forehead. Hope that helps!

• Kat December 1, 2013 at 4:08 am Permalink

I had those too just get plastic surgery or fillers no oil will fix it

• Shaundel January 10, 2014 at 5:38 am Permalink

Now I would say what most likely that could help with that is Essential Oils! Like Frankincense, Lavender, Rosemary, Palmarose, Carrot Seed, Rose and few others, but you need to dilute with a Carrier Oil and that’s where it gets tough since I don’t know what your skin type is (ex. like dry skin or oily etc.). Which also plays a role as well on how skin reacts to carrier oils. Argan, Calendula, Emu also Grapeseed, Sunflower, Safflower is pretty good and light oils as well. Oh also include vitamin E oil to whichever you choose or you can just that alone with the essential oils. You can also do a 1 or 2 a week face mask of your liking that contains Honey, Aloe Vera Gel, Papaya, Blackstrap Molasses, Turmeric, Green & Rooibos Tea (using leaves or/and liquid), Dead Sea Mud, Rosewater, Avocado, Egg White I can go on and on lol. If you want you can go over to Camdengrey.com and they have tons of natural products with great price, that explains its benefits and where it comes from.
      But remember you are not going to see improvements fast and if you do not stick with it on a regular basis. Good luck hope you find something that helps.

• Salis Skincare January 10, 2014 at 7:40 pm Permalink

Oh, I definitely use a LOT of essential oils. This post is mainly about the use of oil on the skin and coconut oil.

• Shaundel January 14, 2014 at 11:13 am Permalink

Indeed :-) I know. I went off topic lol but that reply was for Melanie in hopes that one of those remedies could help her.

4. Ana September 30, 2013 at 1:39 am Permalink

Hello,

I was wondering if you could please give me some advice on which oil to use on my face. I am Caucasian with a Meditteranean background. I’m 25 years old but have had problems with acne since I was 16. I have very acne prone skin and have been told that I have a bit of rosacea around my nose and on my chin. While I do not get large cystic acne anymore, I still get angry red acne and I do occassionally get acne that looks like dark blue blood spots under my skin which leave nasty scars (either in the form of a depressed hole or a dark hyperpigmentation spot). My forehead is extremely oily and when I wear make-up, I look disgustingly greasy. The area around my mouth and on my chin is very dry and flakey. I tried using coconut oil and find that it is fading my hyperpigmentation marks. However I’m not sure if it’s breaking me out more. My undereye area also seems to be really dry for some reason and as if I’m developing more fine lines. Could this be because of the coconut oil? Which oil do you recommend for me? Thanks.

• Salis Skincare October 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm Permalink

Hey Ana!

Sorry to hear about your acne! I would try my Calendula Salt Scrub (It’s really a face wash) because it has Calendula which is healing, and then it has Olive Oil in it which is really good for Mediterranean skin. When you use oil on your skin it will actually help your skin to become LESS oily, as it is giving the skin the moisture it needs so that your sebaceous gland will not produce as much oil.

Hope that helps!

• Yer Mam January 22, 2014 at 3:12 pm Permalink

Look up which oils cause Comedones! Many of the prized and touted oils are actually cause acne, and Coconut Oil is one of the main offenders despite your genetics.

I am not sure if this “If it grows in your heritage’s land it’s good for you” is true. I am fillipino and coconut oil still makes me break out. : )

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/319593-the-bad-list-comedogenic-ingredients-and-products/ Check this list out, it’s something that helped me get clearer skin. Also see the good list!

• Salis Skincare January 22, 2014 at 6:17 pm Permalink

Hi Yer Mam-

I’m not saying that this theory is true or not, but it’s just that, a theory. Interesting that you are Fillipino and coconut oil breaks you out as well. It’s definitely been enlightening to see how many people with darker skin also has issues. I’m just bringing up the point really that coconut oil isn’t the best for your face. And I agree with the article you attached as well. Coconut oil is touted as an amazing product for skin, but then as an esthetician- people keep coming to me, because their skin is randomly breaking out.

Anyhow, thanks for the comment!

5. Trisha October 11, 2013 at 7:46 pm Permalink

I am caucasian with European decent. I deal with cystic acne and have a lot of scarring and redness. What would be the best oil for me?

• Salis Skincare October 16, 2013 at 12:07 am Permalink

Hey Trisha!

Sorry to hear about your cystic acne! I would definitely try the Unscented Salt Scrub (It’s a face wash) or the Lavender/Jasmine Salt Scrub for your skin. It REALLY helps reduce the redness in all my clients. It has Jojoba in it which is what I’ve found to be the best! Or an Sweet Apricot or Almond would work as well. Also, I had cystic acne, and I would suggest taking megadoses of Vitamin A that your body can absorb. Cod Liver Oil from Carlsons (found at Health Foods stores) is good or taking Green Pastures Cod Liver Oil with Butter (they have it in capsules which tastes WAY better). And that will heal your acne from the inside.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

6. Ana November 8, 2013 at 2:14 am Permalink

I saw a dermatologist who recommended that I take 40 mg of Accutane everyday for 6 months-1 year. I am terrified of the side effects and would prefer a more natural route. Would you recommend Accutane? What is your advice for skincare involving cystic acne, scarring and hyperpigmentation?

• Salis Skincare November 11, 2013 at 4:41 pm Permalink

Hi Ana-

So I actually did Accutane twice! Agh! It was the worst thing ever that I’ve done. It really destroyed my liver. Like a while after I got off of it. My lips are still dry, and it’s been 10 years. I was warned by so many other girls, but I wanted to get rid of it! Oh, and you’ll have SUPER bad depression.

I would actually go to a health food store and get Vitamin A found in Cod Liver Oil (Carlson’s brand) and take that instead! Accutane is just synthetic Vitamin A that messes with your body. For scarring I did Redmond Clay (it’s actually on my site) and for Hyperpigmentation I would use my Salt Scrub (the Calendula is most healing and it helps with hyper pigmentation). I would also look at my Apple Cider Vinegar post on my Blog and do that as well!

Hope that helps!

7. Elizabeth November 14, 2013 at 2:51 am Permalink

I read that coconut oil did miracles to skin – without batting an eyelash, I applied it to my already perfect skin. Three days later, my breakout was the worst I’d ever seen-on anyone-and nothing I did could reverse it. A month later, it’s still equally bad. I visited a dermatologist who told me it was Pityrosporum Folliculitis, which I’m not sure I believe. I’ve never experienced such horrible “acne” until the coconut oil, so I don’t think it’s internal. Please, what do you think I could do to solve the issue? I’m absolutely humiliated to be seen :(

• Salis Skincare November 14, 2013 at 6:20 am Permalink

Ugh! So sorry Elizabeth! I’ve heard of this happening to so many women! I would use the Redmond clay that I sell in the products section to pull out the allergens from the coconut oil. Your skin sounds like it’s definitely not reacting well to it. The reason I suggest the clay, is that when it dries, it pulls everything out.

Also, where is your ancestry from? I know that sounds weird, but I’m wondering if the Calendula Salt Scrub would help.

• Elizabeth November 14, 2013 at 4:34 pm Permalink

Thanks for the quick response – I’ll definitely try the clay. I’m most prominently Polish, with very fair and sensitive skin.

• Salis Skincare November 15, 2013 at 7:26 pm Permalink

I think Sweet Almond or Olive Oil might work for you! Some cool essential oils would be any type of Fir or Black Spruce essential oil. Black Spruce is really good to help heal the Adrenal Glands! Place a drop on the outside of your thumb and then place it on your back where the adrenals are at.

Hope that helps Elizabeth!

• reet tater May 29, 2014 at 3:56 pm Permalink

If we use coconut oil on face its fair our skin or more dark

8. Laura November 18, 2013 at 10:30 pm Permalink

I had a friend with GORGEOUS skin told me she was using coconut oil. I decided to give it a go. The first couple of weeks I noticed my skin was softer and healthier looking. After two, maybe three weeks, the worst acne of my life began. Around the same time it started, I moved to a new city, now a new country, believing this could be the cause. I’ve lived here for few months, and during this time have tried many different skin care remedies and NOTHING is working. I have continued to use coconut oil and will use it with occasionally with baking soda as a scrub. I’ve been blaming it on moving but it occured to me that it could be coconut oil that has caused my acne. My once clear skin (with one or two pimples a week), now breaks out everyday and is red and scarred. I use coconut on my entire body, which leaves it soft and smooth. Do you have any suggestions to clear this up and something to leave my skin soft? I’m of European descent (Scottish, Irish, Welsh, German).

• Salis Skincare November 22, 2013 at 11:28 pm Permalink

Hi Laura- It’s definitely common to break out with Coconut oil! I pretty much have the exact same ancestry as you! I have more English than Scottish though. I’ve really loved Organic Almond Oil or the Jojoba oil that I use in my products. Also, where did you move from and to? I would definitely stop using the coconut oil on your whole body. I really wonder if you’re allergic. I would suggest the Clay Capsules internally and the Lavender/Jasmine face wash/salt scrub on your face. Definitely am wondering if your diet has gotten better or worse as well, let me know. Thanks Laura!

• Erin January 27, 2014 at 1:18 am Permalink

Hi there! Thank you for this post – I was just looking up why my pores were enlarging. I’ve been using coconut oil on my face. I’ll stop, in fact I used olive oil today. But I had a quick question about oils you’d recommend for my heritage. Irish/German/French/Bohemian {total mutt}. I have an autoimmune disorder and follow a strict protocol for foods. I don’t consume nuts or seeds as they cause my autoimmune disease to flare up. Olives aren’t exactly Irish, but would that be the best oil to use on my face that isn’t nut or seed based? What about avocado oil?

• Salis Skincare January 27, 2014 at 9:32 pm Permalink

Hi Erin!

I’m a mutt too! Olive oil is good for you. I would probably rotate with a grapeseed, sweet almond (test for allergy though) or apricot oil. Jojoba may be good as well. Avocado would be good but not great (but that’s my experience). Also, I would research the GAPS diet and see if that could help restore your immune system. Also, my pore/mask recipe would be good to try as well. I had enlarged pores, and this has really helped them shrink.

Hope that helps! Good luck Erin!

• Erin January 28, 2014 at 6:40 pm Permalink

Thank you for the recommendations! GAPS is quite similar to my protocol {autoimmune protocol paleo} and I’ve had great success with it so far! I will check as see if jojoba is okay, since it is seed based. I’ll look at the mask recipe too, thank you again :)

• Salis Skincare January 29, 2014 at 7:14 pm Permalink

Hey Erin!

Yes, stick on that diet! I’m sure you’ll be seeing results soon. Good luck!

9. Caitlin November 22, 2013 at 5:39 am Permalink

This article is great. I started using olive oil on my skin in high school after having a horrible reaction to a face wash. Everyone thought I was crazy, but my skins been clear since! I was going to start using coconut oil, but considering I’m very fair I will stick to olive oil!

• Salis Skincare November 22, 2013 at 11:17 pm Permalink

So smart Caitlin! Stick with Olive!

10. andrea November 23, 2013 at 5:02 am Permalink

So what oils/products would I use being of multiple races? My father is Half Hawaiian and then English/Irish/Chinese, my mother is German. Both of my parents tan incredibly well (obv. My dad moreso) and I use coconut oil for my scalp hair n body. It’s the only thing that keeps my scalp dermatitis away. But i suffer from acne. My aesthetician has me using Skinsceuticals Acne wash and toner. Then I use 10% otc benzoyl peroxide (from rite aid) or I’ll breakout like crazy and tea tree oil moisturizer (helps heal my acne). I also have melasma from my dad and am concerned with aging around my eyes. What would you recommend?

• Salis Skincare November 24, 2013 at 4:17 am Permalink

Hi Andrea-

I almost feel like we could do a consultation! I would definitely stop the benzoyl peroxide- It will destroy the protective barrier on your skin. I had to rebuild mine after I used that for many years as a teenager. Where is your Melasma at? Did you just have a child?

I would think Coconut oil would be good for you, and you could rotate with Olive oil. I think our Calendula Face Wash would work the best for you.

Also try the Apple Cider Vinegar Toner recipe on my blog.

Hope that helps- call me if you want to do a consultation. – Laura

• Andrea November 24, 2013 at 8:27 pm Permalink

No kids, it seems to be hereditary. Because it’s on the nose and under-eye area we joke that we are part raccoon, but only my dads side as it. My sister is pale and covered with freckles green eyes and brown hair like my mom (and not one person on their side has it). I on the other hand have olive-tan skin hazel eyes and jet black hair. Any & every issue/allergy my dad has right down to the medications he’s allergic to I’ve also inherited (thanks dad lol). That’s where the melasma comes in. Most people think it’s “freckles” because I’m 27 and it’s not that bad yet. It’s scary to consider I’ve damaged my skin for so long in the search for clear skin. My aesthetician thought she could take me off BP and just use products with salicylic acid but again, my acne came back so I’ve been trying to research what to do esp that’s more natural. I will definitely purchase the product you recommended and start using the ACV Toner recipe you recommended but if I have problems I think I will have to contact you. Thank you so much for the reply :)

• Salis Skincare December 3, 2013 at 8:28 pm Permalink

Ha ha, I inherited some crappy things too from my Dad! Make sure you’re also not getting sunburned, as that will make the problem worse. I would definitely try the Lavender/Jasmine or Calendula Scrub. The Calendula has an olive oil smell, so if you don’t like olive oil, I would get the Lavender/Jasmine. Also, try looking at your adrenal gland and seeing if there are issues there. But it sounds really hereditary. But I’m wondering if certain hormones are out of whack. Let me know how it goes Andrea!

11. Breanna December 4, 2013 at 8:31 am Permalink

I picked up coconut oil because I heard that it has a lot of great health and beauty benefits, but I mostly had the intention to use it as a makeup remover. I’ve only been using it for a short time (1-2 weeks), but after reading this, I’m now worried all these small bumps (not quite blackheads though, but appear to be trapped dirt or something but very difficult to remove) are caused by it! My background is mostly Czech and Norwegian and English. Is there any better suggestions? Where can I buy these other oils? Because I found the coconut oil at the grocery store. Can I still use my coconut oil as a hair conditioner?

• Salis Skincare December 6, 2013 at 3:08 am Permalink

Hi Breanna-

I totally used to use coconut oil as a makeup remover and let me tell you one thing: IT’S HORRIBLE when it gets into your eyes! Literally couldn’t see for like a half hour when it got into my eyes. So I am really glad when I found Jojoba Oil to remove makeup. I love the brand HobaCare and it’s certified organic Jojoba oil. It’s the same oil that I use in my Salt Scrubs. You can definitely still use the Coconut oil as a hair conditioner. But when you run out, might I suggest Jojoba Oil in your hair. I actually love it for that as well.

Good luck!

12. Brandy December 9, 2013 at 4:25 am Permalink

I am of African descent and coconut oil does not work for me, it has clogged my pores and aggravated my eczema. I kept trying it believing that it would give me great results, but alas nope! Shea butter breaks me out too….go figure! & Shea butter is native to Africa.

• Salis Skincare December 9, 2013 at 5:54 pm Permalink

Hi Brandy!

That is so interesting! I was even wondering the same thing about Shea Butter the other day as well! With Eczema make sure that your digestive tract is working smoothly, and that you’re taking pre-biotics (like the Redmond Clay in Capsules) and Probiotics. It helps with getting the rash or infection going out through the skin and through the bowels.

Also, our Cedarwood Salt Scrub is designed to help with Eczema and Psoriasis. Cedarwood helps with all types of skin issues.

Have you ever experimented with any other types of oils?

13. elaina December 21, 2013 at 2:55 am Permalink

Hello

I am currently pregnant and have been breaking out with really bad cystic acne. I am currently using belli skincare but it is not helping. I was thinking of trying coconut oil but now am not quite sure. I have Japanese and Chinese background with a little irish.

Thank you!

• Salis Skincare December 24, 2013 at 7:22 am Permalink

Hi Elaina-

Sounds like you could have a Vitamin A deficiency. I would maybe try coconut oil and see how your skin does. I would think that it would be ok. But you could also rotate and try the Lavender/Jasmine Salt Scrub with the Jojoba.

Is your acne around your chin area? Or all over?

14. shilly December 27, 2013 at 11:07 am Permalink

hi i had used coconut oil for massaging my face and i got clogged pores all over my face and i m not able to fix it can you help me please :)

• Salis Skincare December 27, 2013 at 6:27 pm Permalink

Hi Shilly- Sorry to hear about your experience. I would discontinue using the coconut oil on your face. I would instead use the Lavender Jasmine Salt Scrub, or the Calendula (smells like olive oil) scrub! They use Jojoba oil which will not clog your pores and the salt has anti-bacterial properties! Hope that helps!

15. Kim Anderson January 3, 2014 at 8:31 pm Permalink

I have dark circles under my eyes and always have….anything you recommend. I can’t even cover them up with make up!

• Salis Skincare January 3, 2014 at 11:24 pm Permalink

Kim! I’ve had the same problem for SO many years. I actually use the Redmond Clay that I see on my site, and I mix it with water to a toothpaste consistency or thinner and I spread that on my under eye circles, and leave it on, overnight. After a few nights, you should notice a difference. A few other things to consider is allergies, sleeping habits, parasites, adrenal fatigue, and kidney issues. I’ve had a few myself, and I take the Mineral Support (it’s the Redmond Clay) in capsules internally, and it helps with many of those issues. Since many of those are a mineral deficiency. You know how your body needs vitamins and minerals? The Mineral Support is the Minerals! Hope that helps. It’s something I’ve been able to lessen myself. Hope this knowledge helps you as well! Thanks for visiting!

16. Laura January 10, 2014 at 3:45 am Permalink

I have spent a lot of time reading all the comments and noticed one thing that has not been said yet is if you do decide to try coconut oil you should NEVER USE IT ON YOUR ENTIRE FACE. (no matter what ethnicity you are) it is very effective and rich and should only be used in a spot treatment manner. It’s kind of like to much of a good thing if ya know what I mean. I too made the mistake of using to much on my facial skin and experienced horrific breakouts but when understood coconut oil and how to use it correctly it has truly beed a gift from the beauty heavens! The one thing you MUST REMEMBER with coconut oil is a teeny tiny bit goes an amazingly LONG way. :)

• Salis Skincare January 10, 2014 at 7:35 pm Permalink

True Laura – You should never use a lot of any oil. With any oil, a little goes a LONG way. But even then, some people just use a little coconut oil and are having issues. And you also need to make sure you’re rotating with other oils. Plus, after using coconut oil for years, when I switched to Jojoba My skin did much better and was more soft.

17. Laura January 11, 2014 at 5:26 am Permalink

I definitely want to try jojoba and have a ton of new products I cant wait to try from previous posts. It’s safe to say I am absolutely in LOVE with this page :)) coconut oil is for sure one that has been tricky for my skin but fortunately I have found the balance/amount my skin accepts and benefits from this amazing product.

18. Namrata Lasi January 12, 2014 at 1:44 am Permalink

Hey Leah, your post was really interesting to read. I’ve been using coconut oil on my face in the morning and night after washing as a moisturizer, and I thought I’d do a little more research because I am absolutely terrified of breaking out (almost 16, in highschool lol). I wanted to treat my skin to more natural products because I can see many fine lines under my eyes and smile lines and wrinkles on my forehead and it looks so much worse with makeup. Anyway, I’ve used coconut oil for the past two nights and my skin looks great so far. I live in Canada and have an Indian background. Do you think that with continued use my skin will break out? Thanks for your help :)

• Salis Skincare January 13, 2014 at 5:21 pm Permalink

Hi Namrata-

Since you have Indian Background, I wouldn’t be super worried about it affecting you as much as someone with European background. However, living in Canada has a different climate, and I would try and rotate and use other oils if you can. I would highly suggest the Calendula- since it is grown near to Canada. That is on my products page. Keep using oils though, that will help with the fine lines (it’s helped with mine a lot!) and the breakouts. Also, try out my clay & baking soda mask also on this blog- if you do get breakouts. Hope that helps!

Love- Laura

19. Elizabeth H January 13, 2014 at 3:18 am Permalink

First let me say thanks, I feel like I’m gaining more insight on this subject. I’m 27 and African American, I reside in Richmond, Va. I’ve never had issues w acne until now. My forehead continuously breaks out and has left embarrassing scars. I used coconut oil for a while as a moisturizer after cleaning my face w black soap. I thought maybe it was the soap breaking me out but my brother told me it was the oil. I really need help in pinpointing the culprit. I get paranoid thinking that people are looking at my face now and it’s very annoying. If you could pls help me gain more insight on how to alleviate the issue I would be greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time

• Salis Skincare January 13, 2014 at 5:26 pm Permalink

Hi Elizabeth!
      Sorry you’re having breakouts, that’s always the worst. First off, I used to have HORRIBLE acne, and oil does NOT breakout your skin. However, some people do breakout with oils, because it is pushing all of the sebum out of the skin. It should be minimal and last a week or two. Not years. I have tried african black soap- and it leaves that “squeaky” clean feeling- which is basically wax on your skin, smothering your pores. I would try the Lavender/Jasmine face wash that is on the products page. Try rotating it with the coconut oil to see how you do. Also, try the clay and baking soda mask on your forehead, that will help to calm things down as well.
      Good luck!

20. Siobhan January 17, 2014 at 10:02 am Permalink

Hey,

I have had issues with breakouts for the past 10 years, it has really affected my confidence and i am absolutely over it. I have recently started to get into organic and natural products but they have not really helped. Im tempted to try coconut oil but am a bit scared because of reviews i have reed. What would you recommend for me? My ancestors are German on one parents side and English, Irish and Scottish on the other and i am currently living in New Zealand.
    Really looking forward to your reply =)

Kind Regards
    Siobhan

• Salis Skincare January 20, 2014 at 10:57 pm Permalink

Hi Siobhan-

Sorry about your breakouts. That’s not fun at all. I probably wouldn’t recommend coconut oil for your face. Sounds like you have a lot of European ancestry. So I would try a different type of oil. You can probably still use coconut oil on your skin while you’re in New Zealand, but I wouldn’t use it on your face.

Hope that helps!

21. Chyola January 27, 2014 at 10:42 am Permalink

Hi,

Thank you for this article (and the warning, I just ran and washed away the coconut oil in my face!)!
    Could you please recommend me some “cheap” facial treatment (e.g. oils and washes) for a skin with a slight olive tint (though more on the fair side), a skin with a North African and European background. That get breakouts in the T-zone. Is cheaper oils like Sunflower oil and Canola oil good for the skin?

Thank you kindly!

• Salis Skincare January 27, 2014 at 9:38 pm Permalink

Hi Chyola!

You’d do perfect with my Calendula Face Wash. You’d seem like a good candidate for that! I would definitely never use Canola oil. Experiment with Sunflower and/or Olive oil (which is also in my Caledula Face Wash). Make sure also not to eat as much refined sugar, as that gave me TONS of breakouts in my T-zone. And use LOTS of oil at night on your skin. Also, try not to pick in the T-zone as much too. I had the WORST acne in my T-zone for 14 years. That’s one area I definitely can help you with. Also, try my baking soda and clay mask also on this blog.

I really hope that helps! Let me know how things are going! It will get better! I promise!

• Chyola January 28, 2014 at 11:13 am Permalink

Thank you very much for the fast reply and the advice!
        I just have one follow-up question (I’m new to this), how much would “lots of oil” be? Do I put it all over my face or just on my forhead and around the mouth where I most get breakouts? I also forgot to write that my skin seems to be combination skin, since I’m also sensitive in some of the areas (redness and dryness).

Thank you in advance!

22. Ashley Cummings January 28, 2014 at 6:05 pm Permalink

I don’t use it on my face, but I use it on my bum…my baby’s bum that is! ha ha ha. I use it on my baby’s bum when she gets a diaper rash and it goes away the next day. It’s amazing.

23. Olivia January 29, 2014 at 11:20 am Permalink

Hi! I stumbled across this article after trying to decide whether I should use coconut oil as a cleanser. I have an oily forehead and nose, and my cheeks are normal and completely free of acne and bumps. My forehead, however is covered in flesh coloured bumps and small patches of inflamed, red bumps. It’s almost like my pores are clogged but every time I’ve tried to exfoliate in the past, it just irritates my skin and causes breakouts. I’ve tried every sort of natural remedy available (eg. apple cider vinegar, caveman regime, oatmeal, tea tree oil, witch hazel, epsom salt, sea salt, Sukin skincare) and nothing really helped. I was just about to try the oil cleansing method with coconut oil, but this article made me think twice! I live in Australia (currently summer and HOT), and my parents originated from Northern Italy/Sicily. Do you think olive oil would be okay to use in doing the oil cleansing method? I’m against most products and the oil cleansing method is my last resort in terms of natural treatments. Thanks :)

• Salis Skincare January 29, 2014 at 7:21 pm Permalink

Hi Olivia!

I personally wouldn’t use it as a cleanser. Your forehead is your stress region and reflective of your digestive tract. I would recommend taking some high quality ProBiotics. If you’re from Italy- then Olive Oil would probably be your best bet! I would discontinue use of a lot of products and just focus on a few. Sometimes too many products made my skin breakout worse! You would also be a great candidate for my Caledula Scrub which has Olive oil in it as well as healing Calendula. One other thing I would try temporarily is baking soda as a mask to see if that helps. Then follow with the Apple Cider Vinegar Toner recipe on my blog.
      Hope that helps Olivia! Good luck to you!

• Olivia January 30, 2014 at 11:08 am Permalink

Thanks so much, I’ll definitely look into what you suggested! I’m just feeling so stuck because I’ve heard that forehead acne is a sign of digestive issues… but the past 2 years I’ve practically dedicated myself to eating super healthy, basically no processed foods/additives, plenty of fresh fruits and veggies (whole & juiced), whole grains, legumes, loads of healthy fats, and I don’t eat meat, dairy, vegetable oils, trans fats, or wheat… I also take probiotics every second day along with b12 supplements every day. I’m really happy with the way I eat right now but I don’t think there’s anything else I can do to improve my diet without becoming too restrictive. But I’ll definitely look into your Caledula scrub, thanks so much for your advice. :)

• Salis Skincare January 31, 2014 at 8:52 pm Permalink

Hmmm… Look into the GAPS diet… That might be helpful. But it sounds like you’re headed on the right path! Sometimes grains can irritate some and not others, depends on the health of your digestive tract. Good Luck!

24. cheryl January 30, 2014 at 3:53 pm Permalink

hi there! great article! i stumbled across this article when somebody gave me this link in yahoo ask after i asked a question there. here, i wanna ask, i’m an asian from somewhere in east asia. basically, i have a tanned skin which is my natural skin. i want to go natural from now on. i have normal skin with few mild acne. i was thinking of using coconut oil but afraid if it will cause breakout. how about olive as my face wash? if i use olive oil as a face wash, do i have to moisturize again with it? i reallllyyy wanna use only natural product. what is your recommemdation? thank u!!

• Salis Skincare January 31, 2014 at 8:58 pm Permalink

Hi Cheryl-

It is kind of weird to wash your face with oil and then moisturize with it! So I wash my hands first before I wash my face – See this article

25. best skin care tips ever February 1, 2014 at 12:59 pm Permalink

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a co-worker who has been doing a little research on this.
    And he in fact bought me lunch simply because I discovered it for him…
    lol. So let me reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah,
    thanx for spending the time to talk about this issue here
    on your web page.

26. Emily February 6, 2014 at 8:32 am Permalink

Hi,

I’m 21 years old and have very acne-prone skin. My skin has always been oily (shiny in pictures) though dry around my mouth and flakey around the sides of my face (baby hair area). I have had forehead acne that won’t go away no matter what I use. They’re very tiny pimples all over my forehead that look like they’re under my skin. They’re not red or irritating and they’re not noticeable indoors but when I’m outside the little pimples are so horrid and noticeable! The only thing that has helped when I was a teenager was Clearasil ultra face wash with benzoyl peroxide and clearasil vanishing cream which has 10% Benzoyl peroxide (that I applied all over my face). I tried going back to that but my skin flares up. I’ve tried natural products (tea tree oil was a nightmare, honey and apple cider vineager did not work) and burts bees products (which irritated my skin), but feel like I need strong acne products to finally say goodbye to this frustrating breakout. My friend (Hispanic background) has been using coconut oil as a face moisturizer for about a month and her skin looks wonderful! But I’m afraid it might clog my pores. My background consists of Hispanic, German, Irish, and a little Italian and African American ancestry. Please help me decide what products I should use! Thanks!

Emily

• Salis Skincare February 14, 2014 at 7:42 pm Permalink

Hi Emily!

Sorry to hear about your skin! I’ve been there myself. With really oily/dry skin. It might clog your pores, since you’ve been so sensitive to certain products. You would be a great candidate for the Lavender/ Jasmine Scrub that’s on my website, or the Calendula. It uses Jojoba which may be molecularly better for your skin. When you were using the Apple Cider Vinegar, what brand was it? Also, it sounds like you need to make a baking soda mask with the Redmond Clay. Try not to pick at your skin as well. It spreads all the bad bacteria underneath. That was one of the main things I had to do to get rid of my acne.

I hope that helps!

Laura

27. Jess Ryan February 8, 2014 at 1:20 am Permalink

What about the idea that oils in general DO NOT hydrate the skin? Our skin needs moisture and the only TRUE form of moisture is WATER! not oil! I love LBRI products because they use ALOE and hylaronic acid to carry WATER to the subcutaneous layer of the skin! They have made a HUGE difference in my skin in just days!

• Salis Skincare February 8, 2014 at 5:50 am Permalink

Hey Jess-

I’ve actually been with L’Bri for 16 years and I use their enzyme peel when I do facials- they actually started adding naughty ingredients to their face wash – which is why I only use the enzyme peel now. I love Aloe Vera. But Hyaluronic Acid can’t penetrate the skin from the top down. Our skin is like leather, and oils or aloe generally work better than water.

Good luck!

• Salis Skincare February 8, 2014 at 5:52 am Permalink

Drinking water internally is super good too! And…. swishing it around in your mouth is good before you swallow so you can digest the water better and not strain your kidneys.

28. Catherine February 13, 2014 at 1:18 am Permalink

Hi Jess!

I wonder if it would be suitable for me, with a Chinese background who lives in Sweden, to use coconut oil on dry patches? My skin has been very dry the last month (I used to have combination skin) and dry flakes won’t disappear although I use a enzyme peeling once a week.

• Salis Skincare February 14, 2014 at 7:44 pm Permalink

Hi Catherine! Are you looking for Jess or for Laura (the writer of the post). I wouldn’t use the coconut oil on the dry flakes. I would use a sweet almond. Also, make sure you’re taking a high quality probiotic internally!

Good Luck!

Laura :)

• Katie November 20, 2014 at 4:00 am Permalink

So I am totally stalking and reading every post! Thanks so much for all of your detailed information, it’s great! I was curious, where would I be able to purchase some good quality, not horribly expensive, jojoba oil to use on my face at night? I do currently use coconut oil, but reading all the posts, I decided I should try other things too :) Thank you!

• Salis Skincare January 16, 2015 at 6:46 pm Permalink

Ha ha… I love it! Thanks for stalking. I am coming out with some jojoba oil to sell so stay posted for that.

29. Thalia February 23, 2014 at 10:08 pm Permalink

I had just put coconut oil all over my face and I went online to check out what the benefits are but then I found this page. I washed it off worrying that I would break out even worse than I already have.
    I used to break out on my forehead a few years back but now it migrated all to my cheeks. I just started to use a baking soda facial mask so I hope that would help me with my breakouts. I am also oily on my forehead and nose.
    Both my parents are from Mexico. What kind of oils would you recommenced for my skin?

• Salis Skincare February 25, 2014 at 12:30 am Permalink

Hey Thalia!

For Mexican descent I would use Jojoba or Aloe Vera. You would do really well with Aloe Vera!

Hope that helps!

30. Barbara March 13, 2014 at 6:58 am Permalink

Hello guys! I decided to use coconut oil recently, deciding to convert to natural products. I just wanted to chime in and say that coconut oil is not only bad for lighter skin! I am an African American woman, and I used coconut oil on my face and broke out in a heat like bumps all over my face, everywhere! Especially near my eyes and mouth. Behind my ears was even worse! It was really scaly, and eczema like. My ears were extremely red and hot and itchy. I’m assuming this was an allergic reaction and it took about a week for my face to clear (using black soap to dry out the rash). However, the rash on the front of my ears is taking longer to go away. Coconut oil has so many benefits, so it sucks that’s I can’t use it topically (I can eat it with no problem).

• Salis Skincare March 14, 2014 at 4:44 am Permalink

Hey Barbara!

Sorry to hear about the rash! But yes! Many other women are noticing that they are not able to use the coconut oil externally no matter their descent. I know, coconut oil is great for so many things, too bad it doesn’t work as well externally as it does internally. I do ok using coconut oil internally as well.

Thanks for the post!

• Allie March 22, 2014 at 5:54 pm Permalink

Thank you for posting this! I recently tried swapping to more natural skin care and thought I would give coconut oil a try. Sure enough, I put it on and immediately my skin began to react badly. Red, blotchy and itchy skin. It was horrible! Any suggestions of how to clear up the redness? I am a Caucasian.

Also, if my body reacts this way externally, curious if anyone knows the effect it might have internally for cooking? I do cook with coconut oil and have never had a problem.

• Salis Skincare March 22, 2014 at 9:27 pm Permalink

Allie!

I’m glad you’ve transitioned over to natural skincare! Sorry it went so red! The Apple Cider Vinegar post on my blog will help with the redness. Also, the Calendula Salis Scrub will help reduce redness as well!

So after the blog post, I’ve been wondering the same thing! I seem to do better with it internally, but not a lot. Which has gone on to make me wonder about all foods from all over the world! I think if you’re NOT eating it a lot in excess, you should be ok. But find what works best for YOU. I heard this quote the other day at a class, and I really liked it. The presenter said, “You’re your own unique person, and so what make work for another person may not be the best for you. Journal your diet and see what you respond the best to. It’s like your own little blueprint for yourself.” So I’ve been trying to do that. I hope that helps!

31. Radica March 16, 2014 at 1:40 pm Permalink

I have olive skin and dark pigmentation on my face and neck ,how do I get rid of my pigmentation ..

• Salis Skincare March 19, 2014 at 5:00 am Permalink

Hi Radica-

You can try searching my blog for the Apple Cider Vinegar Toner Recipe. Some women have found that to be helpful!

32. Lorelei March 23, 2014 at 4:03 am Permalink

I have fair skin and I use coconut oil on it a few times a week. I never break out and it makes my skin feel and look great. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using good quality coconut oil on your skin. It works for some people, and not others. I have never once broken out from using it. It also does wonders for my hair.

• Salis Skincare March 23, 2014 at 5:52 am Permalink

Great Lorelei!

• Ann-Marie June 28, 2014 at 2:19 pm Permalink

Hi Lorelei

I agree with you completely. I’m Irish and have been using coconut oil on my face and body for three years. Apart from the odd spot or two, I have had no issues with it. In fact, I find that my skin is glowing as a result of using it. People who find coconut oil too strong can alternatively try using avocado oil, which I also find great.

Regards

33. Joanne March 25, 2014 at 4:50 pm Permalink

Please ladies do NOT use coconut oil on your face to treat wrinkles. I thought it was helping me till I seen new lines this morning. It clogs my pores, gave me pores, and makes my face look like it’s beat up. I was using with in combo with eye creams. I am 30 and have always looked like I am 20. This oil is only good for food, not face.

• Salis Skincare March 26, 2014 at 4:31 pm Permalink

Thanks for your comment Joanne! Have you tried other oils on your face?

• Lorelei April 8, 2014 at 2:53 am Permalink

I would not be surprised if you are using refined coconut oil. Coconut oil has been used for ages as a skin and hair conditioner. It does not work for everyone, but don’t go telling women not to use it. Let people figure it out for themselves. I’ve had wonderful results with it.

• Joanee August 12, 2014 at 4:45 am Permalink

Yep that’s why I look 10 years younger than I am and get carded. Sure I must NOT know what I’m talking bout. I wonder how come I don’t look my age if I am so stupid. Coconut oil I used was 100% virgin organic contained in a glass, not plastic jar. So um…….unless you are one to argue

34. Arshi March 27, 2014 at 2:36 pm Permalink

Interesting argument or rather concept which makes perfect sense. I’ve been using coconut oil for my hair for moisture and recently started using it for my face. I have very dry skin and thought I would switch over to oils rather than creams and they’ve been doing wonders for me. My background is Indian (though I was born in Canada with fair complexion) and coconut oil is a miracle product there – your concept about the equator, which is probably why its so effective for Indians. I also purchased rosehip oil online so waiting for that to come – I think I’m going rotate and see what works best. What are your thoughts on Rosehip oil?

• Salis Skincare March 27, 2014 at 8:27 pm Permalink

Yes, definitely not an argument, it’s more a concept or theory. I think Rosehips has worked wonderful for many women. But again, you have to try it for your skin and then like you said, rotate it! Because you skin can get used to products. Hope that helps!

• Arshi March 28, 2014 at 2:08 am Permalink

Hey, definitely helps, thanks! Also, this has nothing to do with coconut oil but maybe you can help me with this. I recently started doing ‘at home’ laser treatments on my face (roughly 2 months) and it’s working well for the most part except that I got about 3 small bumps on face (about 1 inch away from my ear) – symmetrically. They look like pimples except they’ve been around for approx 1 month now – normally my pimples go away very quickly (within days or 1 week max) . I’ve just been keeping clean and avoiding any makeup on them. You have any idea how to deal with something like this ?

• Salis Skincare March 31, 2014 at 6:17 pm Permalink

Hi Arshi-

I am not sure without looking at it what I could be. If they are small white bumps – they could be milia. But it sounds like you may need to go visit a dermatologist! Sorry I’m not much help!

• Arshi April 1, 2014 at 2:12 pm Permalink

Heyy! I think you may be right, I just googled milia and it looks very similar to the bumps on my face. Thank you so much and I think you may be right , like to make an appointment with a dermatologist! Thanks again xo!

• Salis Skincare April 2, 2014 at 2:24 am Permalink

Oh Great!!! I’m so glad!

35. Maggie April 2, 2014 at 3:05 am Permalink

Hi,
    I was raised the U.S. but was born in Cuba. My family are all from
    Cuba and Canary Island. What oil would you reccommend for me.
    I have been using organic extra virgin coconut oil and seem to do fine,
    though I noticed a sort of lump on my forhead. I hope it’s not from the
    coconut oil.
    Any suggestions would be appeciated.
    Maggie

• Salis Skincare April 2, 2014 at 6:12 pm Permalink

Hey Maggie!

Sounds like Coconut Oil should work well for you. However, if you do decide to rotate oils, which I recommend doing, I would try Tamanu or another type of oil. Hope that helps!

36. The One True God April 8, 2014 at 4:42 am Permalink

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular article!
    It’s the little changes that make the largest changes.
    Thanks for sharing!

37. Lilian Pereira April 15, 2014 at 9:23 pm Permalink

HI I love this article,very informative. I am originally from Brazil, live in NY and have fair skin. My skin is very dry and due to this harsh winter. I have small reddish bumps on my chin. HELP I usually have very clear skin.

• Salis Skincare April 16, 2014 at 10:56 pm Permalink

Hi Lilian!

I do offer phone consultations at $10 per half hour. So I don’t know if that would interest you, but my phone number is 801.367.5141.

Thanks!

38. Benjamin April 19, 2014 at 2:51 pm Permalink

Iv just quit smoking and have so far managed to do 3 months i already have very smooth skin im quite lucky really im 22 male and have never had any skin problems apart from the occasional hay-fever rash,although iv always had a very wrinkly forehead started to form quite prominent laughter lines and slowly but surely the crows feet are creeping in, iv used nivia lotion all my life on the face which works wonders on my mums fair skin aswell as my olive skin, and often use elemis or decleor facemasks, coconut oil seems to do well on my skin if i use i which is not very often was, I was wondering what you could suggest that might help restore the smokers wrinkles and what would be best for my skin type, I have english welsh and italian in me, Thanks x

• Salis Skincare April 21, 2014 at 11:53 pm Permalink

Hey Benjamin! Congrats on quitting! I would say something like an olive oil or sweet almond oil might help reduce the smoker’s wrinkles. Make sure you’re also acidifying your skin – with a apple cider vinegar recipe that is also on this blog. Nivea just makes your skin a little more alkaline, and your skin is naturally acidic. Also, try fresh aloe vera on the forehead. It’s done wonders for my forehead wrinkles specifically. Hope that helps!

39. Jen April 21, 2014 at 6:16 pm Permalink

I use avocado oil and it is amazing for me most of the time. My background is English. I urge others to try it as well!

40. Victoria April 22, 2014 at 2:37 am Permalink

I am Puerto Rican and I have fair skin which is really dry and flaky especially on my forehead and cheeks and after reading your article what other type of oil would relieve the dryness and flakiness?
    Also my daughter is very fair skinned and has eczema and coconut oil didn’t really do much for her skin, what could I try?

• Salis Skincare April 28, 2014 at 6:39 pm Permalink

Hey Victoria-

You could try something like Tamanu Oil, Avocado Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, or Sweet Almond. Those could also help with your daughter! Good luck!

41. Sue April 27, 2014 at 8:50 am Permalink

Conceding my 30s I have had problematic skin around my nose and sides of my mouth and chin. I’ve been desperate for a search for something top keep my skin balanced, oil free and at the same time not dry and flaky. Sometimes the skin on my chin and sides of mouth will be both dry and flaky and oily at the same time. I have spent hundreds even thousand of dollars on skincare products and have finally given up on the mass-market. I have been looking for more natural approach to skincare and recently came across coconut oil. I’ve been using it about a week each day I see that it is causing me more more problems rather than benefits. My skin feels oily and dry all over I can feel my fingertips catching all my clothes from the dry skin. I’ve illuminated all chemicals from any part of my skincare regimen. I feel itchy and dry everywhere even tho I’m covered in coconut oil. I’m looking for An all-natural product that will help my skin retain its natural oils and keep from being dry and keep from getting cystic acne around the sides of my mouth and my chin. Am desperate for an answer because up into my 30s I didn’t even have to wash my face went to sleep at night. Now my skin is super high maintenance which is fine if all this maintenance paid out, but it doesn’t. It’s a constant battle trying to keep it clean and moist. Clean=dry=red rashy patches on my chin, nose and corners of mouth. Moist=oily=whiteheads, cystic acne and an oily sheen.
    Anyone With suggestions of what they use along with skin type and skintone and ethnic background also experience with past products would be greatly appreciated. I am desperate I’m on over a year search at this point and I’m lost and I don’t know what to do. I’m sick of shelving products that are no good for me it’s what a waste of money. I’m sick of trying a new product and for a few days it seems like it’s working and then my face blows up and all my skin blows up and I spend three weeks trying to fix my face. Help!

• Salis Skincare April 28, 2014 at 6:42 pm Permalink

Hey Sue-

You could try a sample of my Lavender & Jasmine or my Unscented Face wash/ Salt Scrub. It will help balance the oily & flakiness on your face. Your sebaceous glands are a little outta whack. I would definitely try my scrub, or at least try and organic & food grade oil to use on your face.

42. shugs April 30, 2014 at 10:52 am Permalink

hi
    I would be grateful if you could help me my problem is that i have dark areas under and on my eye lids. is their anything i can use during the day / night i would be grateful if you contact me thanks.

• Salis Skincare May 7, 2014 at 1:05 am Permalink

Hey!

I would mix a small amount of the redmond clay, that I sell on my products page, with water. and apply a THIN layer on your under eye area at night and leave it on overnight. How dark is it on the eyelids?
      Are they dark circles or more like spots?

43. Isabell May 2, 2014 at 1:08 am Permalink

Hi Laura!
    Very informative post and I’m glad I read this. I bought coconut oil the other day and have been using it all over my body ever since. I’m 100% Swedish and live in Sweden and even for a swede I have very fair and pale skin. I don’t have any big problems with acne but I do get A LOT of pimples around my chin when I’m stressed. Maybe you could suggest some other oils that will work better for my skin? I’ve tried olive oil before but since I have dry skin I felt that it was too heavy for me and gave me more breakouts than before.

• Salis Skincare May 7, 2014 at 1:08 am Permalink

HI Isabell!

Thanks for reading my post! It sounds like you may have some hormonal acne? Is it on the sides of the chin? I would also recommend rose hips (if it’s hormonal), or something like a sweet almond, grape seed or apricot. Anything really light may work better for you. I’m so jealous though- I would love to visit Sweden one day! Let me know how it goes!

44. Dana May 18, 2014 at 10:52 pm Permalink

I think that you need to clarify what type of coconut oil is causing these respective problems with so many people as a facial cream or moisturizer. I would find it hard to believe that a cold pressed, 100% extra virgin and unrefined coconut oil would be causing these problems. I believe that people are using a post “refined” and chemical laden beauty product sold as coconut oil or a beauty product that contains a small portion of coconut oil very low on the list of unhealthy ingredients in the sold beauty products.

Do like the website. The products look practical and economical for healthy solutions.

• Salis Skincare May 26, 2014 at 4:01 pm Permalink

Hi Dana-

Great question. Yes, to clarify, I am talking about certified organics, expeller pressed unrefined coconut oil, 100% extra virgin coconut oil. And to go a step above, it’s the kind that is not smoked out by the women in the huts. It is the type that is expeller pressed outside the huts. If you are going to use coconut oil, I only recommend using the highest quality, certified organic type you can find at a health food store. Hope that helps!

45. sk May 22, 2014 at 3:53 am Permalink

hi, I’m really fair skinned and im suddenly getting small brown patches on my face. I’m guessing it’s melasma? how do I get rid of it please help?!? I’m getting married soon :(

46. Ayesha June 3, 2014 at 8:42 am Permalink

I’m expecting a baby this month and I’m not sure what to apply on the baby. A lot of people have advised olive oil but I’m worried that it will darken the baby’s skin! My husband and I are originally from Bangladesh but were born and raised in the UK. Is there an oil that I can apply without tanning the baby?

• Salis Skincare June 6, 2014 at 2:32 am Permalink

Hey Ayesha-

I’ve never heard of Olive oil tanning a baby’s skin. The oil is a light yellow, and if you buy it organic, shouldn’t tan the skin. If you’re worried, you can also try Organic Sweet Almond or Jojoba Oil. Good luck with the delivery! Hope this helps!

47. sharon June 12, 2014 at 10:40 am Permalink

i have uneven skin tone such as i have small white patches on my face not very noticeable but still wanted to know if you know of any remedies. would coconut oil help me? also my face is darker than the rest of my body, any thing i can use to help me?

• Salis Skincare June 18, 2014 at 2:15 am Permalink

Hey Sharon- I’ve actually never heard of someone’s facial skin being much darker than the rest of their body. I wonder if you should go to a doctor to make sure it’s not an immune disorder. Coconut oil might help the white patches too!

48. Tina June 12, 2014 at 3:07 pm Permalink

Hi, I am Indian with medium brown skin leaving in the U.S (in North East). I am thinking of using coconut oil as make up remover. I am not sure if I should use the refined one or the virgin one. Any advice? Also, what else should I rotate with as even though being from India, coconut oil shouldn’t harm me but at the same I understand it is not native to the Northeast US area? Thanks for your advice.

• Salis Skincare June 18, 2014 at 2:13 am Permalink

So when I use coconut oil to remove makeup it would irritate my eyes. I would use the extra virgin if you do use it on your skin. Sandalwood with Jojoba oil would be awesome for your skin! Good luck!

49. S.M. July 11, 2014 at 11:25 pm Permalink

Hi there!

I have recently been wondering about this exact notion, so I am very happy to discover I’m not the only one!

I have been using organic coconut oil on my face and body for a little while now. I really don’t use it much on my face now, I use a blend of some others. I have experienced the red irritation on my face from the coconut before, which may have occurred when I first tried it. It doesn’t appear to upset my body skin.

I have always lived in the same state in NE U.S. and my heritage, from what I’ve been told, is a mix of Irish/English/Scottish/German/Swedish/Portuguese and perhaps some Native American. I tan nicely, but never very dark.

I am also curious about what may be good for my dry scalp. I have been using an organic shower gel to clean my body and hair, but I haven’t been doing anything to condition my hair. I’m a sucker for warmth, but I try not to get my water too hot cos I know that is bad for skin and hair. Doesn’t always happen that way though.

I also have consistent acne on an area other than my face. Normally it wouldn’t bother me as much as it does, but I pose as a model for artists and I’m generally nude for that. I end up covering it up with foundation, because it is super embarrassing.

What do you recommend?

Thanks for all of this intriguing information!

50. Kelly July 17, 2014 at 11:29 am Permalink

Question for you.
    My guy, eats virgin coconut oil, has never put it on his skin tho.
    I give him weekly massages, using holly oil. But yesturday wanted to use a oil that absorbs a little more into the skin, searched the interenet and found to use fractionated coconut oil. Started massaging his arm with that, about 30 mins later he started to have med size bumps on his arm. Assuming a reaction of some sorts.
    Just curious if you think using jojoba oil on the body would be fine??

Thanks, Kelly!!

• Salis Skincare July 21, 2014 at 8:09 pm Permalink

Hey Kelly!

Yep! Jojoba oil is GREAT for a body oil! I take it with me whenever I get a body massage. He could also do a baking soda bath or a Apple Cider Vinegar bath to see if that helps with the bumps. Thanks for stopping by my blog :).

51. Kelly July 17, 2014 at 11:43 am Permalink

Another question,
    Is there a remedy to help those bumps go away? (from fractionated coconut oil) Or is it just wash it, and it will go away on its own?

Thanks, Kelly

52. emily July 21, 2014 at 1:04 am Permalink

I have just started using coconut oil as a face wash/ moisturizer twice daily after my prescriptioned face stuff wasn’t doing that great. It has only been about a week with the coconut oil and my face seems about the same…still not clear. Do you suggest I continue using the oil for about 2 more weeks to give my skin a chace to adjust?

• Salis Skincare July 21, 2014 at 8:11 pm Permalink

Hey Emily-

With skin healing it definitely takes about a month or so to notice a difference. Good luck!

53. Kate August 13, 2014 at 12:11 pm Permalink

I use coconut oil around my eyes at night, with no problems. I did try it on the rest of my face and broke out in acne… :(
    I continue to use it on my eyes because it works for me, and I am the whitest of white! hehe
    But after reading this post I think I will try some of the other ones you suggested and see if I notice a difference.
    Thanks :)

54. keisha August 22, 2014 at 4:29 pm Permalink

I recently started using coconut oil all over my face as i was hearing so much good stuff about it then i started getting so many spots on my forehead and i dont understand why im just getting them there, I thought it was a good thing to put on my face I’ve been trying so hard to find a way to get rid of these spots

55. virender yadav September 6, 2014 at 7:14 am Permalink

Thank you so much for this very useful information.It is really helpful for all people.

56. megha bhatia September 18, 2014 at 2:37 am Permalink

I am 16 years old and i have so many hairs on my face so how i remove those hairs????

57. Bumbles November 7, 2014 at 11:05 am Permalink

I’m 64years old. I’m very fair skinned. I have been using coconut for about two years now as a face cleaner and a body moisturiser and have found it fantastic. Maybe it’s because I’m older and have dryer skin then the other people comments but not having to use chemicals and coconut oil being a natural product I couldn’t be happier.

58. Inna January 10, 2015 at 6:26 pm Permalink

Hi! I’m 23 years old. I have acne prone skin, and have struggled with acne since I was 12, and my face is pretty scarred up. I have very problematic skin, its either too dry, to the point of looking ashy, even hurting when I speak or smile, or way too oily. Recently I started noticing that i’ve developed wrinkles under my eyes and they become more prominent when I smile. I think this is occurring because my skin is very dry. Do you have any suggestions on what I could use to moisturize my skin?
    Thanks in advance!

• Salis Skincare January 16, 2015 at 6:45 pm Permalink

Hi! I would definitely start taking the Mineral Support internally to pull out the toxins. I would also suggest the Sandalwood scrub- It is really good for dry skin and it smells amazing! I hope that helps.

59. Milly February 14, 2015 at 3:34 pm Permalink

How do you treat body acne? I was using coconut oil but that obviously made it worse!!

• Salis Skincare February 16, 2015 at 5:21 pm Permalink

Hi! I would take the Mineral Support internally – So it pulls out toxins through the bowel instead of the skin, and then you can use the Salt Scrub on the whole body. I would recommend the Calendula. Hope that helps!

60. Lady April 14, 2015 at 8:16 pm Permalink

Hi! I am caucasian with European (Irish/German) descent. I am 27. I get all forms of acne – the little skin colored pimples, the whiteheads, the blackheads, the deep blue-ish under the skin ones, the angry red cystic ones. Cheeks, jawline, forehead, chin are the worst.

I try to not wear makeup whenever possible but I do have to wear foundation sometimes for being on photo/film. I do wash it off at night if I have it on and try to use clay masks with apple cider vinegar and water to help suck out the makeup. I try to buy noncomedogenic hair products, toothpaste, etc.

I am currently using Argan oil on my face, mixed with Tea Tree and Lavender essential oils and sometimes a drop or two of Lemon, Geranium, Carrot, Grapefruit essential oils. Sometimes I put cold pressed no-preservatives Aloe Vera on my face, but it doesn’t seem to really help. The face wash I use is made of Neem and Turmeric.

After reading your article I don’t know if Argan is the best choice, as it may be for thicker skin than mine. Jojoba does make me break out – I had a shampoo and conditioner with Jojoba that seemed to cause breakouts.

What would you recommend for me? And what do you think about Hemp Oil?

Thank you!!

• Salis Skincare May 18, 2015 at 4:47 pm Permalink

What kind of Jojoba are you using? Is it certified organic? I had a client using non – organic jojoba and it broke her out. You can definitely try the Hemp Oil and see how you do. Real Argan oil really stinks and most of it on the market is super refined – which can cause breakouts. I would REALLY recommend taking the Mineral Support internally. That will help you to detox out. Thanks!

61. pristine derma skincare May 16, 2015 at 1:19 am Permalink

Have you ever thought about creating an ebook or guest authoring on other
    blogs? I have a blog centered on the same ideas you
    discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience would appreciate your
    work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me
    an e mail.

62. Heidi July 16, 2015 at 4:44 pm Permalink

I was happy to see and read this. I have suffered with Rosacea for years and have tried coconut oil twice. Once in the winter and I had burning on the face after applying it and throughout the day. When I talked to the person at the pharmacy who makes the organic facial moisturizers, she did not think it would do that, so I attributed the burning to the heater in the car and quit using the coconut oil topically. I tried it one more time now that it is summer, and it burned again. I live in Western NY-very cold winters, and my ancestors are from Sweden and Germany. Thank you for the information!

63. Jody October 26, 2015 at 3:19 pm Permalink

Hi,

I know I’m late to this discussion, but thought I’ll give my experience on coconut oil anyway.

I am black and have experienced bad breakouts with coconut oil, despite being of Jamaican heritage. However, I find that coconut oil is great for healing burn marks and preventing scars. I also finds its great as a dandruff treatment. So, although it might not be great as a face oil, it helps with other ailments.

• Salis Skincare November 2, 2015 at 5:36 pm Permalink

Love it jody! Thank you so much for your comment. And yes, it is amazing for dandruff and other things…

64. Sindi December 10, 2015 at 2:51 pm Permalink

Hi! I’m from El Salvador, and I’ve been using coconut oil on my skin as a moisturizer, but I’m paranoid that it’ll just make me breakout more. I have a lot of blackheads also. I’m wondering if coconut oil would be fine or if there’s something else that would be better and won’t clog up more of my pores and cause a worse breakout?

• Salis Skincare December 14, 2015 at 11:20 am Permalink

Hey Sindi! Yes, I would try our new serum. It will not make you clog up like the Coconut Oil. Also, we do have a blackhead removal mask if you’re interested as well. Thank you!

65. twinkle March 19, 2016 at 9:03 am Permalink

hello,
    I was wondering if you could help me!
    I have very patchy skin with pigments and I have oily and dry combined skin with oily on T zone.. and I am just 16! I’m so much worried because of that!!
    I have tried using coconut oil but it didn’t worked and I’ve been using olive oil on my face from nearly 2 weeks and now I’m noticing some kind of red rashes on my skin!!
    I’m kind of lost now!!
    please suggest which oil should I try now!

thanks..

• twinkle March 19, 2016 at 9:05 am Permalink

and yeah I forgot to mention I’m Indian and I have slightly dark skin.

• Salis Skincare April 5, 2016 at 10:08 pm Permalink

Hi-

You could try our Mineral Support and the Blackhead Mask externally to pull everything out!

66. chelsea March 24, 2016 at 8:51 pm Permalink

I left coconut oil on my skin two nights ago and woke up with red bumps. Today was much worse. Everywhere on my face that I applied the coconut oil has broken out, red bumps, whiteheads, itchy, burns and very dry. My face is even a little swollen. I don’t know what to do ):

67. Loo August 3, 2016 at 7:53 pm Permalink

I wash my face with coconut oil everyday. I have sensitive skin and I NEVER break out. It just depends on your skin type. Geeze.

68. ciara September 29, 2016 at 3:23 am Permalink

Hey:) I have been using coconut on and off for the past year as a face moisturer – but i am now thinking that firstly I was using too much of it and secondly that it has resulted in clogged and enlarged pores on my nose:( Is there anyway to get my skin back to its original state which was always clear and with no major issues. Am Irish, fair skin

• Salis Skincare October 1, 2016 at 7:31 pm Permalink

hey clara-

Sorry to hear about the clogged pores, that what coconut oil did to my nose as well. I would recommend our serum to get it back in your original shape. Also, just putting less on your skin will help too!

69. Steven Moore December 13, 2016 at 1:23 pm Permalink

I have been using frankincense, lavender, and sandalwood mixed with organic coconut oil in glass jar for years. I saw my daughter-in-law using coconut oil that wasn’t hard and she ordered it for me about 6 months ago. Since then my skin has rashes all over and I have been diagnosed with eczema and given steroid creams and have been suffering itching bad going to 3 different doctors, one a dermatologist and $2,000 in. I went to south Florida on a job for 6 days and forgot my oil and all my skin problems cleared up. When I got home it all came back so I guess this fractionated coconut oil was the culprit all along. I stopped using it today so I will see. More people need to be aware of this. Thanks for your article!

70. Salis Skincare March 19, 2014 at 6:17 pm Permalink

Thank you Holly! You have a wonderful blog! Keep up the great work!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Why Specific Oils are GOOD for your skin! | Salis Skin Care - November 11, 2013

[…] out! While it did seem to help, it wasn’t amazing, which lead me to my thought on coconut oil HERE. I then started working at a health food store and was educated even further. Certain oils balance […]

2. A Case Study: Salis Skincare Business Blog Increases Conversions Searchlight Content - February 6, 2014

[…] As a quick example of how her business blogging efforts have lead to an increase in traffic, a boost in the search results, and an increase in customers, let’s talk a look at the stats from just one of her blog posts, “Why I Don’t Ever Use Coconut Oil on My Face.” […]

3. Thanks Everyone! | Salis Skin CareSalis Skin Care - March 14, 2014

[…] Here is the link if you haven’t read it : http://bit.ly/1fY5KV8 […]

4. Using Jojoba Oil as a Face Moisturizer - March 19, 2014

[…] wasn’t until I read this article from Salis Skincare about using jojoba oil as a facial moisturizer that things started to click for me. I’m of European descent. Perhaps coconut oil is not […]

5. How to train your body to sleep on your back.... - Salis™ Skin Care - May 18, 2015

[…] 1 am in the morning. Same with Coconut Oil. I love it for cooking (not so much for skincare see my Coconut Article) but I finally figured out a few months ago (after YEARS of thinking I had serious sleep […]

6. Is Coconut Oil keeping you up at night? - Salis Skin Care - January 4, 2016

[…] don’t love it for the skin however, but that’s another article you can read HERE. […]